Powered by Seat

HOPRG_2062c

„We’re doing a home exchange – we are in someone else’s house right now and they’re in our house in Amsterdam. We’ve been doing this for a long time. Because it’s a very good way to meet local people and to discover nice places – we would never get to see this area, Strašnice, if we stayed in some downtown hotel. And the situation makes you speak to people. Because you’ve got all these questions: Where’s the nearest shop? Where do I leave my garbage? When you open a fridge, you don’t recognize some of the products. But because it’s there, you say: Okey, let’s see, what is this? So you’re expanding your limits.“

„It’s also a good way how to travel cheaply. Because there are no money involved, it’s an exchange. I’ve been in five-star hotels but I didn’t really like it. They are luxurious but also very impersonal. With Airbnb you have way more personal experience but it’s still only a one way thing – you rent a place, you pay money for that. That’s business. When you exchange home with someone, it’s totally personal. It’s a bit strange feeling but you’re living in someone else’s home, getting a glimpse into someone else’s life. It’s totally based on trust. And I’ve always trusted people. I tend to be extremely upset when somebody breaks the trust I have in them. How can someone not keep their word? It’s a sacred thing. You do what you say and you say what you do. And I think in general, in 99 % of cases, people do what they say. There are some weird people around but these are only exceptions. Why would you focus on the 1 % of people when you can have so much fun and nice experiences with the rest 99 %? Each time I’m doing the home exchange, I realize that we’re all people. We are in different countries, there are some different rules but we’re all living very similar lives. And with the rules – the local family told us that that when there is a rule in Czech republic, you’ll probably find some Czech person going against it, doing what they want. I thought: Hey, that’s typical Dutch too!“

/

„Výměnili jsme si domácnosti – jsme zrovna v domě jedné místní rodiny a ona je v našem domě v Amsterdamu. Už to takto děláme dlouho. Je to totiž dobrý způsob, jak se potkat s místními lidmi a objevit pěkná místa – nikdy bychom tuhle oblast Strašnic nenašli, pokud bychom bydleli v nějakém hotelu v centru města. A ta situace vás nutí mluvit s lidmi. Protože máte všechny možné otázky: Kde je nejbližší obchod? Kam máme vyhodit odpadky? Když otevřete lednici, tak některé věci nepoznáváte. Ale jelikož tam jsou, tak si řeknete: Dobře, tak copak to tady máme? Rozšiřujete si své obzory.“

„Je to také dobrý způsob, jak cestovat levně. Protože v tom nejsou žádné peníze, je to výměna. Bydlela jsme i v pětihvězdičkových hotelích, ale popravdě se mi tam moc nelíbilo. Jsou luxusní, ale zároveň velmi neosobní. Když bydlíte přes Airbnb, tak je vaše zkušenost mnohem osobnější, ale stále je to jen jednostranná záležitost – pronajmete se místo a pak za něj zaplatíte. To je obchod. Když si s někým vyměníte domov, je to zcela osobní věc. Je to trochu zvláštní pocit, ale bydlíte u někoho doma a nahlížíte do jeho života. Celé je to postavené na důvěře. A já vždy lidem důvěřovala. Bývám vždy hodně naštvaná, když někdo mou důvěru zklame. Jak někdo může nedodržet své slovo? Je přeci posvátné. Člověk má dělat to, co říká a říkat to, co dělá. A myslím si, že obecně se dá říci, že 99 % lidí udělá, co řekne. Existují i divní lidé, ale to jsou pouze vyjímky. Proč se soustředit na 1 % lidí, když si můžete užít tolik zábavy a mít tolik pěkných zážitků s těmi zbylími 99 %? Pokaždé, když zažívám výměnu domů, tak si uvědomím, že všichni jsme lidé. Žijeme v různých zemích, kde panují různá pravidla, ale naše životy jsou hodně podobné. A s těmi pravidly – ona místní rodina nám řekla, že když v Česku existuje nějaké pravidlo, tak pravděpodobně existuje i nějaký Čech, který na něj kašle a dělá si, co chce. Říkala jsem si: Ty jo, vždyť to je i typicky holandská věc!“